The Telectroscope

The Telectroscope
Originally uploaded by kenf225

I rode down to Fulton Ferry this afternoon to check out the Telectroscope, a truly inspired art project with a whole Victorian-era steampunk back story: a long-lost tunnel to London, started in the 19th century, has finally been completed, and a viewing device installed so you can look through it and see people on the other side, under Tower Bridge alongside the Thames.

Perhaps it sounds silly; an overblown conceit surrounding something you could do with a couple of webcams. But it’s not; there’s something magical about the story, about the fixed location, about it being public, about looking into the “tunnel” and seeing strangers five thousand miles waving back at you. People make appointments to meet up, or use the handy whiteboards to write messages to each other.

On a Sunday afternoon, the line was too long to wait on, but perhaps I’ll stop by on my next morning ride into Manhattan and see what the lunchtime crowds in London look like. (More photos below the cut.)

The Telectroscope

The Telectroscope

The Telectroscope

The Telectroscope

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Telectroscope

1. mary_wroth says:

I’m so glad you posted this! I am going. 🙂

2. trishalynn says:

I am totally going to check this out after I move to Harlem. Are there any “times” of operation, or can we go down anytime?

3. harrietbrown says:

Where is it? I have to check it out!

It’s on the pier at Fulton Ferry, right next to Bargemusic.

• harrietbrown says:

Que? Where dat at? How do I get there from SI? Treat me like I’m an out of towner, cuz you know that’s what I am!

Hmm … ok. Here it is on a map. Just south of the Brooklyn Bridge, you see that little finger pointing into the water? That’s the pier. The closest subway stops are High Street on the A/C, Clark Street on the 2/3, or York Street on the F (in order of proximity). If you’re driving just get off the BQE at Cadman Plaza West and make a left.

• harrietbrown says:

Well, it sounds like an interesting place to go. Bargemusic is there, and don’t they have chamber music for brunch on Sundays? I think I’d have to plan it on a day off, though – if you read my LJ today, you know that travel on the weekends is all F*D up.