Bike MS

No, I haven’t signed up for a bike ride in Mississippi, but on October 5 I will be riding in Bike MS, a fund-raising event for the New York City chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. MS is a chronic, often disabling disease that attacks the central nervous system. Its effects are unpredictable but it can disrupt the ability to move (for instance, making musicians unable to play), affect cognitive ability, or even result in blindness.

There are nearly 7,000 people living with MS right here in New York City. I am asking for your support so we can fund even more programs, services and research projects in the coming year. Last year alone, the National MS Society committed over $33 million to fund over 300 new and on-going research programs. This was made possible, in part, through the support of people like us.

Please visit my ride page and make a donation.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Bike MS

1. lizoleeta says:

Wow I didn’t even know about that bike ride…it’s such a good idea. That’s so great you’re doing it! One of my dearest friends who is only in her early 30s has MS. Are you personally affected by it? Do you know if you can still sign up to fundraise and ride? (Not that I want to be a copycat, but I have talked to my friend before about how I wanted to do something for her, like walk or ride in a race…)

Yes, you can still sign up (I only did so the other day). I think it will be a great ride, and it’s certainly for a good cause. I’m not personally affected by it but I know people who are, and they have a lot of respect for the society. (And I’d support you too if you did.)

• lizoleeta says:

How many miles are you riding? If we do it we should hook up the day of the ride…

• lizoleeta says:

I meant if I do it! I’m sure we can rally some of the Brooklyn gals to cheer us on…

I’d like to do the 60-mile ride but I haven’t done anything that long all summer. I’m going to try to do some longer rides in the next few weeks and see how it feels. Thinking of maybe a ride up to the GW Bridge, or a Belt Parkway tour. What about you? Want to try some “training” rides beforehand?

• lizoleeta says:

Hey I would love to do training rides…I have probably only ever ridden 20 miles tops in one go, but it was on my ex boyfriend’s crappy mountain bike through the winding country roads in Kentucky and I think we did it in like 2 hours or so…But I can do at least 20 with no training, so I would love to try for the 60…though 30 I know I could do, like, today if I had to and paced myself…(it would certainly hurt, though!)

Am up for training rides; unfortunately, the only time I have in the next couple of weeks is this Saturday, ‘cos next Thursday I leave for 10 days to go on vacation. I’m free to ride again after Sept. 16…email me: emontalbano@gmail.com

2. lizoleeta says:

PS: even if I end up riding I will donate to your cause as well! 😉

3. ilivetodye says:

I rode a bike in the MS Bikathon the year I was 49. I rode 40 miles the first day (in Vermont where there are BIG hills). I woke up the 2nd day and it was raining a little. I thought seriously about calling my son and asking him to pick me up. After all, rain makes the road pretty dangerous for a road bike. I finally resisted the urge and got on my bike again and rode 40 miles back to the starting point. I thought I was going to throw up. I thought I was going to pass out. But when it was over I was so proud of myself. I suspect my sisters never considered riding bikes that far, but now if they were given the choice of dealing with MS or riding 80 miles, well, there’s just no question what they would choose. My sister Dale died at age 58 from pneumonia while in a nursing home. My sister Diane is 66 and has been in a nursing home for several years. She can’t walk, can’t focus her eyes, can’t control her arms, can barely talk. She still smiles and still remembers me most of the time. MS hit both of them hard and fast. Thanks for doing this ride and raising money for the NMSS.